Expand your student experience by starting with the Center for Leadership & Involvement. These events allow you to explore beyond the University by engaging in community events not just in your backyard, but all around the city. Take advantage of opportunities that connect you with activities, entertainment, arts, sports, on-campus and other excursions across the city. The three primary types of events and activities include:
- Quarterly On-Campus Events
- Chicago Discount Tickets
- Discover Chicago Events
Unfortunately because of the pandemic, much of our usual programming is not available. On this page, you will also find a list of virtual activities and events. During this time of remote learning, we believe it is important to stay connected with each other and the university community. We hope you can use these tools to stay connected with friends or your RSO!
Virtual Games & Activities
Staying in? Check out this list of games to play with your friends or, RSO members.
- Check out The Escape Game's Monthly Mystery for free online activities with friends.
- Check out The College's Virtual Programming website.
- Contribute to a collaborative playlist with your friends or fellow RSO members. You could even have a Playlist of a Day, inviting everyone to listen to a set of songs together.
- Pick a film or TV show that can be streamed for free from Vudu or Tubi.
- Whose line is it anyway? Many improv games can be slightly adapted to work well virtually, including One Word Story, Convergence, and 5 Things.
- Use a tool like Kahoot or Quizziz to challenge your friends to a fun round of trivia. You could get creative with themes that are either serious (such as national news, politics, and institutional history) or wacky (like types of pasta, famous Instagram cats, and memes.)
- Word puzzles are a great mix of rewarding and challenging. You can find numerous premade ones online, or better yet, create your own word search or crossword puzzle.
Center for Leadership and Involvement Events
- On-Campus Activities & Events
- Each quarter, the CLI hosts a series of signature events open for all undergraduate and graduate students. The purpose of these quality co-curricular experiences creates a sense of belonging amongst students, faculty, and staff. Events are free and a great way to make new friends, enjoy great food, relax, be yourself, and simply enjoy your student experience.
- Chicago Discount Tickets
The CLI partners with outside organizations, such as Broadway in Chicago, the Art Institute, AMC and Icon movie theaters to offer discounted rates or tickets to special events in the city for the University of Chicago students.
- Unfortunately we are currently not offering any discount tickets.
- Discover Chicago
Discover Chicago is designed to provide opportunities to explore the city for little or no cost. Events typically occur in the late afternoon or early evening to accommodate student schedules.
- Past trips include sporting events, museums, tours of local neighborhoods, theater productions, and comedy shows.
- Unfortunately we are currently not offering any Discover Chicago activities.
Please check out the UChicago Events calendar for the most up-to-date collection of programs and activities currently being offered to the University community.
Volunteering & Community Engagement
You can still put some good out into the world from your apartment/dorm room. Multilingual students can serve as webpage translators, empathetic listeners can volunteer with 7 Cups, and sighted students can download Be My Eyes to lend a hand to the blind and visually-impaired.
You can find more opportunities here:
- Online Volunteering
- Check out our Community Service RSOs on Blueprint
- Check out involvement opportunities through the University Community Service Center.
Plus, the local non-profit groups that you usually partner with and the philanthropies that you support may also appreciate virtual help. Reach out to see how you can continue supporting their work.