RSO Frequently Asked Questions

RSO Funding

What funding is available for my RSO?

There are a variety of sources, including:

How do I apply for SGFC?

In order to apply to the Student Government Funding Committee, RSOs must:

  1. Develop and create a budget
  2. Go to the Blueprint Financial Module
  3. Click on “Create Funding Request”
  4. Complete SGFC Budget Worksheet
  5. Submit

​Once submitted, your advisor will review the budget.  They may reach out to you with questions, suggestions, or items that you will need to work on with them before applying. 

For a visual walkthrough on how to apply for SGFC, please click here.

What is the timeline to receive SGFC funding?   
  • Budgets must be submitted by Wednesday at 12:00 PM.
  • SGFC Meetings take place Tuesday at 5:00 PM
  • Your organization will be invited to give a short presentation at a SGFC Meeting, which take place Tuesdays at 5:00 PM.
  • Find out the committee's funding recommendation the night of your hearing.
  • If approved by SG, funds will be in your account one week after your hearing.

* SGFC will not fund retroactively. SGFC will not reimburse groups that have spent money before your budget has been approved by the councils. Events must take place at least one week after your group’s hearing.

What are annual allocations?  

Click this link to find out more.


Do I need permission to travel with my RSO?

Yes, all RSO travel must be approved by a CLI advisor.

The travel policy applies to both university-sponsored travel and individual travel on the behalf of an RSO. This includes, but is not limited to: club sports trips, activities of RSOs, and Student Government-funded travel.

What forms do I need to complete to travel with my RSO?

In order to be approved for travel, your RSO must complete the following:

For the full Vehicle Policy, visit here

How do I become an approved driver?

Students must be approved prior to driving a university vehicle or driving on university-sponsored travel. To become an approved driver, students must follow the steps below. This process will qualify a student to drive on university-sponsored trips for a period of 12 months.

  1. Make a photocopy of the front and back of your valid U.S. driver’s license.
  2. Complete and sign the Student Vehicle Use Authorization Form.
  3. Submit these documents to your RSO Advisor.

All forms must be completed at least two weeks in advance of the trip in order to be processed.

What are the rules for driving with my RSO?

In order to drive for an RSO, all drivers:

  • Must have a valid license.
  • Must be alcohol and drug free.
  • Comply with the Student Vehicle Use Policy.
  • Limit use of the vehicle as authorized and may transport only those on University business.
  • Limit occupancy to the number of seatbelts.

For trips over 250 miles:

  • No driver may operate a vehicle for more than three consecutive hours or more than six hours per day.
  • No student may ride in a vehicle for more than 16 hours within a 24 hour period.
  • At least one person must be awake in the seat next to the driver at all times.
  • No driving is allowed between 12:00 AM and 6:00 AM.
Can those not affiliated with the university become approved drivers?

Approved drivers MUST be affiliated with the University of Chicago.  However, this includes both undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, or staff.  

What if my group does not get travel approval?

Any trip taken without prior submission and approval of a complete and accurate Travel Registration Form, and/or the Driver Form, or other violations of this policy, may result in individual and/or RSO discpline. Also, RSOs will not be reimbursed for travel expenses if it is not approved beforehand.


How do I find my RSO's account number?
  1. Log in to Blueprint, and navigate to your RSO’s page. You can use the "My Shortcuts" menu to quickly jump to your page.
  2. Open the Finance Module on the left column menu. Open the Finance Module on the left column menu. Your President, Treasurer, and Primary Contact have access. You can delegate access to other roster positions within the “Manage Positions” menu in your Roster.
  3. From the Purchase Requests tab, you can see the progress of previously submitted requests. Here you can open and view details, submitted documentation, and comments for each previous entry.
  4. By selecting the Accounts Tab and clicking your account name (RSO name), you can get details about your balance and account number.

Balance: Amount Blueprint Shows you have on account (must be regularly reconciled with Transaction Report)

Encumbered Funds: Here the system lists funds requested via PR that are not yet completed and deducted from your Balance.

Available Funds: A good operating number, your balance less you Encumbered Funds.

Opening the “Transactions” tab on your account page will list all activity on the account, including providing details about transactions that the Center for Leadership and Involvement has uploaded including deposits, copy charges, allocations, and departmental transfers.  

For a visual walkthrough on how to find your RSO account number, please click here

What forms do I need to pay a company, speaker, or performer?

You will need:

  • A W-9 Form
  • An invoice or contract from the other party
How do I complete a reimbursement?

Below is a chart that will help you understand what documentation is needed in order to be reimbursed for RSO expenses:


Back-up documentation forms are when a student loses their original receipt. These forms must be filled out and approved by the RSOs advisor.

In many instances you will be able to process payments without ever having to come to the Reynolds Club.  We are required in some instances, to collect physical copies documentation from you before we can process your request. Examples of this include cash register receipts, restaurant receipts, handwritten receipts, non-emailed airline/train passenger receipts.

What types of purchases are reimbursable?

Reimbursements are the basic transaction for an RSO.  An RSO member will make a purchase for the group, and then will be compensated via a check from the University.  The funds are directly deducted from your RSO account.

Reimbursable Expenses

Reimbursable Expenses_0.jpg


Non-reimbursable Expenses

Non Reimbursable Expenses.jpg

What do I do if I have lost a receipt needed for reimbursement?
How do I deposit checks?

All income must be deposited into your RSO accounts

  • Deposit forms are available outside the Financial Operations Office (room 003 Reynolds Club).  Groups must fill out the form and put it (along with the check) into a deposit envelope.  Then, turn into the Financial Operations Office (room 003).
  • All checks need to be made out to “The University of Chicago” and have your RSO name in the “Memo Line”

** Donations must be deposited separately and need to be deposited within 48 hours of receipt.  Make sure to clearly mark the deposit envelope “Donation”.

How do I purchase food for my event?

There are numerous options for purchasing food for your organization. The earlier in advance that you plan the more of those options are available to you. This chart should help you to understand what food vendors you can utilize based on the amount of lead time you have.

Food Matrix.jpg

More information on the various payment methods outlined above:

House Accounts

Our office maintains a reliationship with a few local vendors with whom you can place orders utilizing a house account.  For these vendors you will not arrange for payment until after your event, giving you some flexibility for short notice ordering. 

To use a House Account follow these steps:

  1. Contact the Financial Operations Office for account/ordering information.
  2. Contact restaurant, provide your contact info, RSO, and house account info.
  3. Complete any confirmation process required by the restaurant.
  4. After your event, submit the invoice provided by the restaurant for payment.

Booking Space

How do I reserve a room on campus?

Browse for space options, check availability, and book events via the online reservation system here.  Try the “Browse for Space” option and then click “Filter” in the top right corner to search by date.

For booking in the Reynolds Club, Bartlett, and Harper/Stuart, and the Quads, visit the Center for Leadership and Involvement Community Development & Operations website or email them at

To contact a staff member directly, visit their staff page.

For a visual walkthrough on how to reserve a room on campus, please click here.

What other spaces are available outside the Reynolds Club/EMS system?

On-Campus Scheduling Options.jpg

When is the RSO Room Lottery?

RSO Room Lottery will take place during 8th Week of each quarter. Forms will be available through the CLI Blueprint page and will be sent out in the RSO Newsletter. Forms are due by email to by 5:00 PM on Friday of 8th Week.