Below is a list of resources and suggestions for managing your RSO in a virtual space. CLI advisors are also available to answer questions about how to engage members, hosting remote activities or events, or general support for RSO leaders.
We also encourage you to follow our social media pages and complete the Social Media Questionnaire to let us know how you want to stay connected.
In hosting events this quarter, we hope all RSOs will take into consideration the following tenets:
- The event aligns with the organization’s mission and purpose
- The event helps facilitate the building of community
- The event is as inclusive as possible. Please consider technology access, time zone differences, access to supplies, how you are promoting the event, etc.
- See our step-by-step tutorial for Submitting Virtual Events on Blueprint here.
Zoom is free and available to all UChicago students. Zoom can also be used to screen-share with up to 300 people, allowing you to host lectures or webinars.
Google Hangouts is free, allows up to 250 people on a call, and can be recorded (until June 1st).
Use fun Zoom Backgrounds to liven up your meetings!
Review this infographic for virtual event planning recommendations.
- Host a virtual election using Blueprint.
- Save your materials on Box or Google Drive.
- Blueprint Documents allows shared storage space for organizational files.
- Host a transition retreat online and work with your advisor to make sure new leaders have access to online resources.
- If you'd like your transition retreat to include a StrengthsQuest training, use our StrengthsQuest Training Request Form. A member of the UChicago Leads team will reach out to you with their availability.
The University has compiled resources and tips for remote instruction that could also be used for RSO activities. Check out the Learning Remotely page for more info.
If working remotely means you don't have access to programs or software you need, check-out IT Services' page of free and reduced cost resources.
Collect feedback to plan programs/activities by polling your members:
- Use Survey Monkey to collect data and feedback remotely.
- Poll Everywhere lets you quickly survey your members.
- Set-up a Google Form to gather ideas for spring or summer RSO engagement.
Virtual Activities & Events
- Set-up a Houseparty for your RSO members or leadership; it allows you to play games over video chat.
- Marco Polo allows you to keep in touch while social distancing by sending short, private videos to your friends.
- Create a podcast using Anchor, an all-in-one platform, where you can create and distribute your podcast from any device, for free.
- Engaging Members Virtual Resource Tutorial.
- Feeling Zoomed Out?
- Check out more suggestions on our Virtual Activities list for more resources and ideas.
Have a suggestion on another resource or platform for RSOs to use? Email your CLI Advisor!
For resources and benefits of managing your RSO beyond the Spring 2020 quarter, click here.
For RSO Frequently Asked Questions, click here.