The Discover Leadership Pre-Orientation Program is a 7-day, 6-night program (Tuesday, September 12 - Monday, September 18) held just prior to O-Week 2023. Thirty (30) students will be invited to participate in the program which will include interactions with University administrators, local alumni, community organizations, and their fellow students.
Using the leadership competencies embedded in the UChicago Leads curriculum (Self-Awareness and Skill Development; Working with Others; Adaptability; Governance and Organizational Structures; and, Innovation and Creativity), this Pre-Orientation Program will introduce students to the concept of personal leadership and provide the opportunity for students to explore and develop their own leadership style.
A core purpose and focus of the Pre-Orientation Program is to provide opportunities for student leadership development. This focus has two dimensions: 1) individual leadership development and 2) leadership in the context of a community. Both are important; neither dimension functions in isolation of the other.
Through the lens of “real world” themes, students will begin to understand the complexity of leadership and better understand their own leadership strengths. These “real world” themes will include exploring leadership within the Arts, Athletics, Business, Government, and Non-profits. Students will interact with local alums who can share their stories and offer insight into how leadership may be enacted differently within the varying contexts.
- Pre-Orientation Webinar: Thursday, May 25th at 6:00 PM
- Applications Available: Monday, May 8th at 8:00 AM
- Applications Deadline: Friday, June 9th at 11:59 PM
- Decisions Announced: Friday, June 30th
- Student Confirmations Due: Friday, July 7th
To apply, click here!
Questions? Email Karina Pabón at email@example.com
Participants in the UChicago Leads Pre-Orientation program will be expected to contribute $100 to help defer the program expenses. This expense will be added to your second Autumn Quarter tuition bill.
Financial assistance is available for students; please indicate on your application if the $100 contribution proves a barrier to your participation.
Housing and meals will be provided during the program. Additional information about housing and luggage storage can be found on the College's Pre-Orientation Programs webpage. Students will be responsible for any personal or incidental expenses.
The Center for Leadership and Involvement is looking for Peer Leaders to welcome our incoming cohort of Discover Leadership participants!
- Facilitate a small group of 10 students throughout the program
- Ensure the safety of the students at all times
- Be present throughout the entirety of the program, including early mornings and late nights
- Provide support and guidance to students as needed
- Report any concerns or incidents to Assistant Director of Student Leadership Development
- Follow University of Chicago guidelines for mandated reporters
- Previous Discover Leadership participant preferred
- Experience working with students in a group setting preferred
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
All Peer Leaders are required to arrive 2 days prior of the start of the program for mandatory training. Housing & food costs are covered for the duration of the Pre-Orientation. Peer Leaders will also be compensated with a stipend of $500.
Peer Leader applications are no longer available for the 2023 program.
If you have any questions, please email Karina Pabón at firstname.lastname@example.org