Women’s Leadership Series began with a series of workshops and trainings, but have also taken the form of a Book Club and celebration of International Women’s Day. The goal of these programs is to offer a space for discussion and exploration of the unique issues that arise when women take the lead. Programming is not limited to participants of a particular gender identity.
Women's Leadership Program
The Women's Leadership Program is a 6-week series in which participants will learn about, reflect on and develop self-advocacy and leadership skills. During this program, participants will explore what it means to be a woman in leadership and how their unique experiences shape their leadership framework. Participants will have the opportunity to build relationships within a small cohort of women and connect with women leaders across different fields.
After the 6 weeks have concluded, you will continue to have the opportunity to collaborate with this cohort of women throughout your remaining years in the college through a series of alumni events and networking sessions. We intend for this program to not only help you become a stronger leader but also make lasting friendships with a group of women that are truly empowered to make a difference in the world at large.
We will meet for 6 weekly sessions, Tuesdays from 5:30-7:00 pm, starting January 17, 2023. Please note that this is a commitment to your cohort and to yourself, attendance at all sessions is expected.
Winter 2023 cohort applications are CLOSED! Check back in the Fall Quarter for 2024 Applications.
If you have any questions about the Women's Leadership Program please contact Heather Duval at email@example.com.
Women's Leadership Book Club
Join us for our quarterly Women’s Leadership Book Club! Each quarter, we read and discuss a book that addresses issues pertaining to women’s leadership. The program is open to ALL members of the UChicago community, regardless of gender identity.
The Autumn quarter selection is Journal of a Black Queer Nurse by Britney Daniels. We will meet to discuss the book on October 26, 2023 at 12:00 pm in the South Lounge located in Reyonds Club on the 2nd floor.
Email Heather Duval at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time for you to stop by CLI and get a copy of the book! You can claim your copy by bringing a $10 deposit to the 016 suite in the Reynolds Club. Your deposit will be returned at the book club meeting.
Past Book Club Picks:
- Fall 2017 Book Club Selection: Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
- Winter 2018 Book Club Selection: Innovating Women: The Changing Face of Technology by Vivek Wadhwa and Farai Chideya
- Spring 2018 Book Club Selection: We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Fall 2018 Book Club Selection: Drop the Ball: Achieving More by Doing Less by Tiffany Dufu
- Winter 2019 Book Club Selection: Dare to Lead by Brené Brown
- Spring 2019 Book Club Selection: Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Start-Up by John Carreyrou
- Fall 2019 Book Club Selection: Lead from the Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change by Stacey Abrams
- Spring 2020 Book Club Selection: Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity by Kim Scott
- Summer 2020 Book Club Selection: I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown
- Fall 2020 Book Club Selection: More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say) by Elaine Welteroth
- Winter 2021 Book Club Selection: One Life by Megan Rapinoe
- Spring 2021 Book Club Selection: Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle by Emily Nagoski and Amelia Nagoski
- Summer 2021 Book Club Selection: Circe by Madeline Miller
- Fall 2021 Book Club Selection: Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot by Mikki Kendall
- Winter 2022 Book Club Selection: Professional Troublemaker: The Fear-Fighter Manual by Luvvie Ajayi Jones
- Spring 2022: Set Boundaries, Find Peace: A Guide to Reclaiming Yourself by Nedra Glover Tawwab
- Fall 2022: Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner
- Winter 2023: Off With Her Head: Three Thousand Years of Demonizing Women in Power by Eleanor Herman
- Spring 2023: The Light We Carry by Michelle Obama
- Summer 2023: All This Could Be Different by Sarah Thankam Mathews
Women's Leadership Workshops
For questions about the series or suggestions for selections / workshops you'd like to see, email Heather at email@example.com.
Past Women's Leadership Workshops:
- Leading With Confidence
- Finding a Mentor
- International Women's Day
- Stress and Balance
- Courage to Act
- Self Advocacy & Negotiation