The University of Chicago seeks to promote safe travel to events and activities occurring beyond the boundaries of University property by RSOs. As such, the travel policy applies to all RSO travel both in cases where the travel is sponsored by the University of Chicago and where a RSO travels on behalf of, or with the financial support of, a recognized student organization of the University of Chicago. This Travel Policy also applies to all travel taken by RSOs attending out of town events and programs. Examples of activities and events that fall under this Policy include, but are not limited to: club sports trips, the activities of recognized student organizations, Student Government-funded travel, and in situations where a student or recognized student organization officially represents the University, e.g., academic team competitions, conferences, and other programs.
All student and recognized student organization travel falling within this Policy must meet the following requirements:
- Recognized student organization travel must be consistent with the organization's mission statement and constitution on file with the Center for Leadership and Involvement. Travel must be planned so as not to create an undue interference with academic responsibilities.
- An individual student or recognized student organization must complete and submit the Travel Registration Form to the Center for Leadership and Involvement no later than ten (10) business days before the scheduled trip. Please know that the travel form will be reviewed by the RSO advisor, and the RSO will be expected to have a conversation with the advisor about the trip. Also, the travel form must be approved by the advisor before the trip can go forward.
- When students are driving for their student organization, whether in personal, rental, or University vehicles, all drivers must comply with the University's Vehicle Policy, including meeting minimum driving experience requirements, submitting relevant information and passing a driving background check, following all stated driving regulations, and completing any training requirements communicated by the University.
- Student Organizations must, as part of the travel registration process, supply the Center for Leadership and Involvement with the names, CnetIDs, and cell phone numbers all students traveling with the organization.
- Any trip taken without prior submission and approval of a complete and accurate Travel Registration Form, and/or the Driver Form or other violations of this policy, may result in individual and/or RSO discipline and, RSOs will not be reimbursed for travel expenses.
All RSO travel must be approved by a CLI advisor.
The travel policy applies to both university-sponsored travel and individual travel on the behalf of an RSO. This includes, but is not limited to club sports trips, activities of RSOs, and Student Government-funded travel.
- Student Organization Travel Policy
- Vehicle Policy
In order to be approved for travel, your RSO must complete the following:
- RSO Travel Registration Form
- Driver Approval Form (if driving out of the city of Chicago)
Students must be approved prior to driving a university vehicle or driving on university-sponsored travel. To become an approved driver, students must follow the steps below. This process will qualify a student to drive on university-sponsored trips for a period of 12 months.
- Make a photocopy of the front and back of your valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Complete and sign the Student Vehicle Use Authorization Form.
- Submit these documents to your RSO Advisor.
All forms must be completed at least two weeks in advance of the trip in order to be processed.
In order to drive for an RSO, all drivers:
- Must have a valid license.
- Must be alcohol and drug-free.
- Comply with the Student Vehicle Use Policy.
- Limit the use of the vehicle as authorized and may transport only those on University business.
- Limit occupancy to the number of seatbelts.
For trips over 250 miles:
- No driver may operate a vehicle for more than three consecutive hours or more than six hours per day.
- No student may ride in a vehicle for more than 16 hours within a 24 hour period.
- At least one person must be awake in the seat next to the driver at all times.
- No driving is allowed between 12:00 AM and 6:00 AM.
Approved drivers MUST be affiliated with the University of Chicago. However, this includes both undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, or staff.
Any trip that's taken without prior submission and approval of a complete and accurate Travel Registration Form, and/or the Driver Form, or other violations of this policy, may result in individual and/or RSO discipline. Also, RSOs will not be reimbursed for travel expenses if it is not approved beforehand.